Friday, March 22, 2013

Homemade Deodorant

O.K. First, I want to go on the record by saying that I am not a granola or a hippie or whatever else you might think I am by hearing the word homemade deodorant. I am however concerned about what is in my deodorant. I have tried more "natural" alternatives but they did NOT cut it, especially when working out. So I have been using my yucky, aluminum filled, cancer causing antiperspirant deodorant. That was until my sister in law let me try out some of her homemade stuff. I tried it last Saturday before a trip to the zoo. By the end of the day I was not smelly nor "moist"(please forgive me if that grosses some of you out).  Anyways, I thought that was pretty awesome but I also thought there was NO way it could hold up to Zumba or Hot Hula, which I do 6 days a week. But today I was brave and decided I was going to make some and give it a try.  In Zumba I stood slightly away from everyone else just in case this stuff totally failed and I started to smell like death.  But guess what?! By the end of class NO SMELL and I was less sweaty than with my regular antiperspirant!  AMAZING!!!!  So if you are interested this is how I made it. 
I used this coconut oil that currently can be found at Costco. I like it because it smells like coconut, but you can also get coconut oil that doesn't have a smell if that particular odor doesn't float your boat.

Then I used baking soda, cornstarch and these three oils . . . lavender, melaleuca, and purify.
 So here's the recipe
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
8 drops purify
3 drops melaleuca
3 drops lavendar
To combine: take the 1/2 cup coconut oil and put it in a small saucepan. Warm it on low heat just until it melts and then turn off the heat (it won't take long). Then add the soda, cornstarch, and 3 different oils and stir to combine. Put the mixture in a small glass bowl and put in fridge or freezer to harden. I did the freezer cause I'm too impatient to wait and when I made this particular batch I was in a hurry to use it before Zumba. Once hardened either leave it in your glass bowl and just use your finger to apply a small amount under your arms or you can do like I did and use your empty deodorant container and shove the stuff in there and apply as you would normal deodorant.
This is my finished product from today and I LOVED it! Totally worth trying! Maybe I am turning granola, but don't tell my parents! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips